Thursday, March 13, 2008

THE EAGLE HAS LEFT THE NEST

And by that, I totally mean that THE WIRES ARE OFF! MY TONGUE IS FREE! PANCAKES ARE IN MY BELLY!!!!

Today was the longest I've had to wait at the surgeon's office, but it was also the only time that I didn't really have the urge to kill him (nice guy, yes, but I have not been a very happy girly). Finally, a nurse showed me into the exam room, brought in a tray of tools, and left. I admit it, I peeked. There were a bunch of those pincher clamp scissorlike looking things, a wire cutter and oh my god that's the biggest needle I've ever seen!













I spent the next 5 minutes scared shitless that there would be novacane involved, at which point the nurse returned, calmed my fears, and took x-rays. I learned that there are 4 plates and 16 screws in my upper jaw, plus 4 screws in my chin.









Then came the de-wiring. The first cut produced a little *pop!* and I thought a naive all done! that was easy! I was wrong, of course. The removing of the wires didn't hurt per se, but all the pulling on my lips and cheeks certainly didn't feel good. Then I was asked to open my mouth, a little wider, a little wider, thereeeeeeeee you go *yank* and the blasted splint was gone.










I was sent off to brush my teeth (an act I've repeated twice already tonight) and then the doctor showed me how to put on the rubber bands. Now, I had my share of braces at thirteen, and I was expecting something like those lovely little things I dreamed of tie dying shoelaces with. You know! Like the ones Shontell has? Not the case, my friends. These things are THICK and there are four of them wrapped around various sets of teeth. I can't really open my mouth with them on (but the surgeon says I should be able to soon), and without them my mouth opens about half an inch. I'm allowed to take them off to eat and then brush my teeth. I forgot to ask: what if I'm eating constantly? I guess the amount of trouble it takes to put them on with dissuade me from this though. I had to make a diagram!





Of course, my dad and sister took me to dinner at IHOP. I ordered pancakes, hash browns, and grapefruit juice. The pancakes were covered in butter and syrup and cut into tiny pieces, which I swallowed whole (I don't really... get?... chewing yet). I drank the juice with a straw, which was exciting. The hash browns were eaten by my sister. It was delicious, but in the end, I only managed about a pancake and a half. Baby steps, people, baby steps. When I got home, I had Peeps for dessert.

In summary! Brushing my teeth: a dream. Eating: a struggle, but wonderful. Twenty thousand less things are poking me, my speech is so much clearer (still sounds like my teeth are clenched, but it's my voice again), I can give my mom a kiss, and I'm feeling HAPPY!

6 comments:

Shontelly said...

YAY!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU ALLISON!! I'm happy too. :D IHOP..emmm. Once again, I think you look wonderful. That's awesome you can brush, talk, and somewhat eat! Happy one month anniversary!!

chris k said...

Lookin great A!

Katherine (Kate) said...

AWESOME!!! You look SO happy your eyes are twinkling :)

Steph & Steve G said...

Congratulations!!!

Michelle said...

Congrats! You look awesome!!!

amycq said...

I've just caught up on your site...wow you look great!!! Man, it takes me back reading about what you are going through...you are definitely not alone!