Monday, July 30, 2007

Keeping Up Appearances

Wow, it really has been a long time, hasn't it?

First off, I lovvvvvvvvvvvve the comments. Yall have no idea. Everyone is so encouraging, kind, and friendly! The narcissist in me also loves seeing a link here on a good number of blogs. Wow!

Mrs. Shanton said in a comment a few posts down that it sounds as if my parents are very supportive of my decision to go through this process. They are, and most everyone I've talked to has been as well -- I didn't mean to make it seem as if I am often justifying my decision. In the beginning, my father was a little harder to sell than my mom. I think that's for two main reasons. Firstly, he has a bite similar to mine, and I think he's a little defensive about it needing to be fixed. Second of all, I think he is hesitant to acknowledge his daughter's imperfections. My grandmother responded the same way. When she said that she didn't think I didn't need the surgery, she didn't mean that I was being frivolous or vain, just that she thinks I was beautiful the way I am and shouldn't feel like I need to change. My friends are wonderful, too -- they are supportive and sympathetic, and the only dissuasive comments I get are regarding how much the will miss me when I am out of school and how strange they think it will be when my jaw is different. One of my favorite comments came from a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks. She and I were talking, and then boarded a bus together, still talking. About 15 minutes into the conversation, she stated that she hadn't noticed my braces until that very moment. That's the kind of thing I like to hear!

Re: braces. I just got my bracket fixed yesterday. While I know that waiting so long (more than 2 weeks!) is not the best idea and might even keep me in braces longer, I have been so busy lately with a new su1mmer job, the hours of which correspond almost exactly with my orthodontist's hours!

That's really all that's new here. Now I'm going to be sure to look around and see what's new with everyone else!

3 comments:

amycq said...

I understand...it's a very personal type of surgery. I got many responses like "but you look fine to me...you don't need to change anything...do you really need to do this?" But in the end, it's up to you! And to those who just might not get it, well...they will when they see the great results!!

Mrs. Shanton said...

Oh, hey, that is great that your friends are so supportive, too! I, unfortunately, did not have much support, but honestly, I did not dwell on it, as it was a very personal decision. And yet, whenever I mentioned that I was having jaw surgery to someone, and they would say, "You don't need THAT!" or act like I was being vain, I did feel pretty defensive on the inside. And maybe aaaaaaaaaaaaalll over my face. Oh, anyway, I'm so glad everyone is cool about it to you. That's so great. You must be a cool girl to have such nice friends! :)

Mrs. Shanton said...

And, yes, sometimes "challenges" to my decision were just people being supportive of my then-current facial...situation.