Preparations for surgery have been stepped into high gear! I was at the orthodontist on Wednesday, who poked around a bit and then confirmed that I'll definitely be ready for the 14th. When I got home from that appointment, there was a phone message from my dad on the counter, saying that "Denise from the insurance company needs to talk to Allison" and that I should do it as a conference call with both of my parents on the line. That kind of scared me -- I thought I was going to get quizzed about whether or not I really needed the surgery! First Denise confirmed that I consented to having my parents on the line (I just turned 18 and that was kind of exciting for me). Then she went through what had been approved for coverage (osteotomy, le forte, and 2-day hospital stay) and what hadn't (geneoplasty), as well as offering to answer any questions. While none of this was really news, it was nice to hear it again.
I've also been working out my leave of absence from my town's ambulance corps, which I volunteer for as an EMT. This has been mostly smooth sailing -- I was told by the captain that I simply needed to write a letter requesting a medical leave and stating the time and duration. In any case, I was chatting with my crew last week. "We'll miss you!" said one of my crewmates. "Is everything all right? Do you mind if I ask why you're going to be gone?" I didn't mind, and I told her. One of the other people who was there said something like, "How does your jaw effect you working on the ambulance corps?" When I told him that I needed a few weeks to recover and that I would be out of school as well, he responded with a slew of obnoxious and kind of stupid comments: "Why can't you just wait until the summer? How do you know they'll let you graduate on time?" and so on. They weren't curious questions. They were rude and accusatory questions. I got kind of overly defensive, telling him to "Mind your business!" repeatedly with some profanity mixed in. Then, of course, I made sure that I let the school know I'll be out, instead of waiting a few weeks as per the original plan. Because, you know, I really want to graduate on time.
Just one more thing. Question: how long do you think I'm going to have to take off from the ambulance corps? I do moderate lifting, but that's really the only strenuous activity. I think I'll request 2 months leave and see how it goes (and of course ask my doctor). Also, do you think it's realistic to be back in school 4 weeks after surgery?
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Congrats on your up-coming date!
Nothing like a little ignorance to get the blood boiling,eh? You're right, it's none of his business. Nice that your other co-worker seemed genuinely concerned and interested :)
From reading others' experiences, it sounds to me like your absence time-frame for being out of school is completely realistic & managable.
YO! I was just responding to your comment on my last post. Not too much longer ah?!!! SO EXCITING!! I'm really anxious to see our results. Are you going to take a few before pictures? Feb. 2nd is when I get all those hooks on. What about you?
Screw those a-holes! I hate when people ask me "so what are you getting this done for again" and they say it with an attitude. I swear I wanna punch em. Especially when it's that time of the month! lol
I think after a month you should be ok to go back to school. You'll have those bands/wires off and able to chew soft stuff. Going back to work well, I have no idea!
Post a Comment