Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Beginning

My underbite has been developing for four and a half years... ever since my braces were removed when I was thirteen. I was told then that the only way to correct it would be surgery, which I would not be able to begin until I was done growing. Now, at seventeen years old and six feet tall, I am (hopefully!!) done growing and (definitely!!) ready to have my jaws fixed.

So far, I have visited my orthodontist, an oral-maxillofacial surgeon, and have been reading many blogs. The surgeon has identified that I will probably need surgery on both my upper and lower jaw, most likely this coming winter. I am starting braces next week to help get my mouth ready for surgery. While I'm not looking forward to a year to a year and a half in braces or to having my jaws broken and wired together for a month, I am looking forward to a new bite and prettier profile.

No comments: