Friday, June 29, 2007

Braced; disgraced

I'm officially braced. (I also got a horrible haircut today, which certainly doesn't help...) I only got the top done today because my orthodontist wanted to give me a chance to get used to it, but for some reason he also put those metal rings on my bottom back molars. Those are poking me the most. The brackets aren't so bad -- they mostly just feel bumpy. However, my teeth are pretty sore, and it hurts to chew on my back teeth. I also can't really bite/chew with my front teeth because my underbite makes that pretty much impossible. So dinner was basically making my salmon into salmon salad and swallowing that and some rice without chewing. Dessert was a smoothie, which was actually harder to eat than you'd expect. It actually hurt to suck on the straw.

My orthodontist decided to put ceramic/porcelain brackets on my front teeth and canines. I am missing my lateral incisors, which have been replaced by Maryland bridges so they obviously don't need brackets. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the porcelain brackets, but I'm actually very happy with them. I think they're much more discreet than metal. And, you know, when your bangs look like mine do today, discreet is really the least you can do.

No comments: