Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Post in Which Allison Hangs her Head Repeatedly

I haven't posted in a really. really. long. time. I kind of have an excuse. I've been so busy writing college applications that I use any extra time to do fun stuff like sleep. And, you know, do my homework. In fact, I think I've had two orthodontist appointments since my last post. For shame, Allison, for shameeeeee.

I had a day off from school on Tuesday (I have no idea why we had election day off), and an orthodontist appointment in the morning. I was planning on getting stuff (read: college application essays) done, so I had scheduled the appointment in the morning, at 9:30. Quick and uneventful appointment in which I received a new bottom wire (OMG it's like Christmas!!!!!) and he instructed me to bite (I couldn't. No surprise there). I asked if he thought I was on schedule to have surgery in February, and he gave me a vague and quite unhelpful answer. Then I ran home for breakfast before I had to stop at the library and take my sister to her friend's house. My choice of breakfast? Some crackers and a frozen Snickers bar from Halloween. For shame, Allison, for... just hold on, it gets worse. So I take a bite of the Snickers, hit some delicious frozen caramelly nut, and some.... something isn't right. Sure enough, that wonderful peanut of goodness had knocked off one of my top brackets. I had to call the orthodontist and confess to my misdeed. He didn't ask what I had been eating, but he did notice how curious it was that he hadn't touched my top braces and suddenly, they were broken. The moral of the story is: never accept Allison's advice concerning what to eat with braces. Okay, you can say it now. For shame, Allison, for shameeeeee.

Speaking of advice -- lately I've been noticing that when I wake up, my jaw is clenched very tightly. This is almost funny, considering I can't even demonstrate this when I'm awake. But, the question is: do you think this is screwy-jaw related? Or stress related (see above, and add to that the fact that, for some reason, I am apply to 15 &%*# colleges)? I've never noticed myself doing this before. What do yall think?

3 comments:

Shontelly said...

That is a good question Allison and I have asked myself the same and I am seeing other crazy jaw people asking the same questions. SO, I'm going to ask the ortho next time I see him!

BAD ALLISON for eating nutty bars!! haha That's funny. You wasn't the only one to break a bracket from Halloween candy that's for sure. Good to hear from ya again. I was wondering where you had gone.

chris k said...

a FROZEN snickers nonetheless!?!?!? You're crazy chica. What schools are you applying to?

amycq said...

i clench a lot too at night. mostly my surgeon/ortho/dentist says it's stress related.

it hasn't affected my surgery or ortho so i'm happy about that. but it does ache if i've been clenching the night before.

college applications must be fun!! :/ i've got one more semester to go and i'm finally done (well for now)!!