I "gave" blood on Friday. I feel funny saying that I gave it, because I'm really just keeping it for myself. Nothing charitable involved. Anyway, I've never given blood before, but was expecting the very worst, as I do not do well with blood tests/injections/etc. It's not so much that I'm afraid of blood or needles or anything, I just get a really gross "ewwwww there's a needle in my body" feeling. I know no one (okay, most people) likes this feeling, but it really freaks me out.
I went in Friday pretty calm. I filled out the form, and watched as they took my blood pressure, temperature, and pulse. I didn't even react when they pricked my finger to test my hemoglobin! When I sat in the chair, I started getting upset. My mom came and sat next to my and tried to distract me quite unsuccessfully. I cried the entire ten minutes the donation took from the moment they put the tourniquet on my arm to the moment they removed the needle. Not something I'm proud of, and it was definitely annoying to the technicians and the other patients. As soon as I was done, I felt fine. Not faint at all, and my arm isn't bruised.
I'm nervous about surgery at all, really. Pain I can deal with, vomiting sucks, but it happens. It's the IV that I'm worried about. I freaked out for the duration of a 10 minute blood donation. How am I going to be with an IV needle in my arm for hours or days? Anyone have this problem? Any recommendations or suggestions?
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hey Allison. Sounds like you've had an eventful day. I prob would have reacted the same. I have a problem with needles too.
The IV part does suck but once you come to from the anaesthesia the IV will be the last thing you think about! You'll grow to love the thing that makes you feel better. ;) I have to admit though,I worry about it as well but I won't tell why or the horror story invovled!! Don't want to freak ya out anymore. Hopefully this time around I get a skilled corpsman. Our surgery date is sneaking up on us!! aaahhhhhhhh!!
Hi Allison, I saw your comment on my blog so I thought I would visit your's and respond. First, I'll just say that I think you will be fine with the IV. Its much different getting something put into you, then it is having blood taken from you. I know just how you feel, I have to lay down just to have 1 vile of blood taken. But the IV isn't like that at all. With regard to your question about the implants, you might want to talk to your surgeon about having them done at the same time. I think that Brandie had her's done that way. Otherwise, I had to wait 6 months after the surgery before doing the scan to see if they could be done. But my case is much different. I had 5 teeth pulled when I was 17 and I have had a lot of bone and gum loss. I wasn't even sure I was going to have implants. So I was glad that my surgeon said he could do them. I then went to see an prosthodontist who did a wax build up of all my teeth and then made a surgical stint to guide the implants. Its a pretty straight-forward process. You are really lucky have this surgery at a young age. It really is quite an adventure. Good luck. Mary
Hey Allison. I was feeling the same way about the IV. That was one of the things that made me the most nervous about the surgery. I have heard so many horror stories and seen so many bruises. But it was actually pretty easy. Ok, my lady numbed my hand up before she gave it to me, so I felt NOTHING at all! It was great. And you don't even feel it in there. I always thought that the needled stayed in your vein, but it's really just a flexable "tube", so you can move and not get stabbed by the needle. If they don't give you the lidocain first, you can always ask for it.
I see that Mary wrote to you about implants. I have to get an implant too. I wasn't able to get mine done at the time of my surgery because both the surgery and implant are on the bottom jaw. I'll have to read all of your blog to catch up on what your having done.
~ Tara
It sounds like most of us can relate to the whole IV thing. Before my last surgery, they took me in to get me changed and prepped, the nurse started to get the stuff ready for my IV and she must have been able to see how tense I was because she asked if it would help if my husband came in with me. She said that they usually didn't allow people back until that was done but she could tell I might need him. Thank god! I'm worried I won't get a good nurse like that again.
I'm sure everything will work out just fine!!
Good luck!!
Post a Comment