Though my ETS (estimated time of surgery) is still pretty far away, maybe even 5 months, I'm starting to think about the logistics. How long will I be out of school? How will I keep up with my work? Mostly, what am I going to tell people when I get back? A girl I know was out for a week last year to get a nose job and the rumors and gossip about her procedure continue to this day. While my situation is different, there are many similarities: I will be out for a while, and when I come back, I will look different. I know there will be a lot of questions about both of these things, and I want to give an answer that is quick, honest, and not too personal. Something along the lines of "my jaws didn't fit together properly so I needed surgery to correct it." Any suggestions/ideas? Am I being silly for being concerned about this?
I went out with some friends last night and we had a great time (as always). We also took a lot of pictures (as always), and as I was looking through them, I found one that made me absolutely
cringe. It's a picture of me losing a staring contest with a friend... in perfect profile.

Can I just say "ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"?
6 comments:
Try not to worry about what people think. The fact is, no one really cares anyway. Who cares that someone got a nose job? lol I guess I forgot what it's like to be in high school. (the years pass by quickly!) The fact is, you have a medical/skeletal condition that you are having fixed and along with that comes some added bonuses of looking better. I was explaning to someone today why I was having the surgery done and they asked me why I didn't just get dentures if I lost my teeth. It's funny because the doctor told me that if I didn't have this surgery and lost all my teeth, dentures wouldn't even fit me properly!! Don't worry about the future; it'll all work out fine. :)
It is all very high school, both the fact that people will talk and the fact that I'm worried what they'll think.
Listen, people talk but that's really it. All people gossip and unless you killed somebody or screwed the entire football team - they won't think less of ya.;)
I think once everyone have seen the positive results that will come from this surgery they will be in awe! Besides, I'm sure that there are at least a handful of teens who are in the same boat as you but aren't getting this opportunity that will look up to you. BE STRONG! and keep ya head up!!
P.S.. OMGOSH I can relate to your picture taking horror! Me and my best friend/cousin share the same embarrassment so what we do to make each other feel better is to take horrible pictures of our face together -I mean HORRIBLE- and just laugh at ourselves. I bet I could beat this picture!!! ;D
"All people gossip and unless you killed somebody or screwed the entire football team - they won't think less of ya.;)"
hahahahahahaha
That actually made me LOL. But seriously, I've actually done both.
...
just kidding.
Oh Allison, I can relate, because you see I worry about what people will think and how they'll look at me when I get back to school - and I'm the teacher..... At the moment I tend to say ' I have a skeletal condition which causes a malocclusion' and people just nod and switch off cos, well, they don't really care, do they.
You could just say that you have jaw surgery to correct your bite. Or you could throw big words at them like malocclusion and orthognathic surgery. :-)
Post a Comment