I'm half way through week three, and I'm really feeling that three-week slump. I don't feel like going anywhere, doing anything. I'm hungry, but eating is too depressing. Schoolwork is really stressing me out. I'm kind of a mess.
Things have been improving, though. I can drink water (veryyyyyyy slowly) out of a glass. I've been sleeping on my side, and finally managed to fall asleep last night without Nyquil. It's been taking me about 2 hours to fall asleep lately, but I think this can be attributed to the vicious sleep-til-noon-stay-up-til-three cycle. I even went to see a show with my family yesterday. Today I got dressed and walked the dog around the block. Things are very slowly looking up.
My next doctor's appointment is on Saturday, which will mark the three weeks and a few days mark. Last appointment, I came with a small list of questions written out on an index card. This week, I will have just one question: "when is the soonest next week I can come in to have the wires cut?"
Monday, March 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Keep your chin up... you're almost there!
Your pictures look amazing!
Hey i remember my slump like it was yesterday. Had my op in sept 07. You do get really low and fed up with the whole eating process but its so worth it.
Yeah your going to feel 100% better once those wires are out. Sleeping on your side is wonderful isn't it?!
Allison you are SO not alone! We wired shut gals have to stick together. I was wired shut the full six weeks, and didn't have any banding after that. (Actually it was five and a half, but only because my surgeon was so busy and I sat there looking forlorn, mumbling inarticulately until he squeezed me in a few days early).
Asparagus soup was a saving grace, it's easy and it comes out thin enough that you don't have to blend & strain it. Also, blending in bananas and peanut butter (strong flavors) to artificial-tasting meal replacement drinks makes them drinkable AND adds calories. It's all about the calories for healing! Now that you're a few weeks in, you should be able to get yourself onto an eating regimen. Start feeding yourself regularly at certain times of the day, so that you can't forget and skip a meal. Also, I always felt totally miserable when I woke up in the mornings, and having a milkshake late at night helped with that (foiling the dehydration + lack of calories factors when I woke up at noon).
There's a lot more I could say on this! It sounds like you're doing well. It feels like forever, but it WILL be over eventually!
Post a Comment